I can’t believe it’s been ten years since I’ve joined Facebook! Back then, you had to be affiliated with a university to join. Over the past decade, I’ve become a devoted fan. You might even say a little obsessive. One of my favorite things about Facebook is that it is an ideal place to market my business. It gives me a
n excuse reason to check Facebook even more often than I did before!
What gets complicated is trying to figure out whether my Facebook marketing is effective. Facebook fan pages are great for marketing businesses, but only if people actually like them. Let’s take a look at the top tool you can use to see how your Facebook marketing efforts are working.
Facebook Insights: Social Media Magic
So you’ve got your business’s fan page all set up. Now it’s time to see how well it’s working. Here are the main results you need to measure:
- How many people have seen your page?
- What kind of people are looking at your page?
- Who has interacted with you on your page?
Thankfully, Facebook has a great built-in tool to help answer these questions. It’s called Facebook Insights. You can access it from the “Insights” link at the top of your Facebook fan page.
Insights can tell you so much about your fan page that it’s almost magical. Here’s a breakdown of the information each category within Insights provides:
- What’s happened over the last seven days
- How many people have liked your page
- Five most recent posts and the traffic they received
- How many people liked your page
- Break down of likes received at various time periods
- Whether people liked your page as a result of paid or unpaid marketing
- Number of people who unliked your page
- How many people looked at your posts
- Whether viewers came from paid or unpaid sources
- Number of people who liked, commented, or shared your posts
- How many people hid or reported your posts as spam
- Number of people who viewed your page, both fans and non-fans
- Page views for each section of your page (i.e. Timeline, photos, etc.)
- Key information about viewers: Gender, age, location, and what kind of device they used
Actions on Page
- How many people clicked on key action links
- Number of people who clicked Get Directions to find you
- Number of people who clicked on your phone number
- Number of people who clicked on your website
- Gender, age, location, and device used by people who took action on your page
- What time of day people viewed your posts
- What kind of posts (i.e. Photos, status updates) people looked at most
- How many people watched your videos for at least 3 seconds
- How many people watched your videos for at least 30 seconds
- Demographic information about the people who liked your page
- Spoken language
Knowledge is power. Facebook is a great place to look at photos of your friend’s crazy puppy. It’s also a great tool to promote your business. To get the most out of Facebook’s marketing side, it’s important to understand who you reach and how engaged they are in your page. That way, you can use gathered data to optimize when and what you post, specify who you target your ads to, and build your business – Facebook style. Social media tools like Facebook Insights are the stepping stone you need to take your business in the right direction on Facebook.
Marketing on Facebook doesn’t have to be tricky – if you have the time to invest in it. But you’re busy running your business. You don’t need to tackle it alone. Give us a call; we’ll help you make the most out of your Facebook page.